Best Of Toronto

Travel Guides

Restaurants Masterlist

Barberian’s Steakhouse

by - November 12, 2012


Barberian’s Steakhouse is a traditional steakhouse that opened in 1959, and has been serving the downtown core of Toronto ever since. The restaurant inhabits an old 1860's house so much of the décor inside of the establishment retained that old-fashioned feeling.  


The ambiance of Barberian’s Steakhouse was good as the place offers a cozy and warm dining experience. My companions and I were quickly seated and got a table in the middle of the room for a party of four. 


The meal started off with complimentary garlic bread with butter, and some cooked vegetables. I snacked on the garlic bread as I looked through their dinner menu. Additionally, the menu offers a good selection of steaks ranging from $40.00 to $60.00+.


For my main course, I ordered the Surf & Turf (Filet Mignon & ½ Live Lobster); the menu says "market price" so I didn't know the actual cost of the dish before ordering. It came out to be $77.60, so it was a pretty expensive meal. However, it was a very delicious one, and I enjoyably devoured my dinner.


The filet mignon was a thick piece of beef that was gently browned and seasoned with the steakhouse's signature spice. The spice that was used at Barberian’s Steakhouse really added flavor to the steak. My dish also came with a side order, which I chose fries (as I usually do). Unfortunately, I did not like the fries as it was a little dry.


The lobster portion of the meal was huge, and it had a lot of meat. The chunks of lobster were absolutely delectable, especially when dipped into the hot butter.  


My boyfriend ordered the 16 oz rib steak ($44.00) and he thought that it was delicious as well. I didn't try his plate so I can't comment on his cut of steak.


I rarely drink alcohol, but did find that the wine list was impressive. The entire wine booklet was extremely lengthy and extensive. However, I couldn't help but ordered a glass of red wine ($16.00) to drink with my meal .... unfortunately I forgot the name of the wine.


I ordered the New York style cheesecake ($9.75) for dessert. The flavor of the cheesecake was well balanced (not overly cheesy) and rich in texture.


The one stand-out thing that made my dinner at Barberian's Steakhouse memorable was the sheer professionalism of the staff. They provided exceptional service, especially our sever, Fraser, who was great. He was prompt, friendly, and attentive despite having other tables to attend throughout the restaurant. At the end of our meal; he gifted us a bottle of Barberian’s Steakhouse's signature spice which was appreciated. 


Additionally, he also gave us a quick tour of the wine room that was located downstairs of the Barberian’s Steakhouse. It was quite a sight, as the room displayed more than 1000 different wine bottles (some bottles were priced at $1000 each).

Overall, I had a great night, and would definitely recommend Barberian’s Steakhouse for dinner. This place has top notch service and the food was delicious. 


RATINGS:

Quality of Food: 4.5/5
Service: 4.7/5
Dining Experience: 4.5/5
Price: $$$$ || Online Menu

Address: 7 Elm Street, Toronto, ON M5G 1H1

Barberian's Steak House on Urbanspoon

You May Also Like

comments