Best Of Toronto

Travel Guides

Restaurants Masterlist

Sweet O'Clock

by - November 11, 2015

 Sweet O'Clock is a North York dessert shop specializing in traditional Taiwanese desserts, and hand-made taro balls. I was invited earlier this summer when they opened to come try a few items on their menu. The restaurant was a mix of both cafe-style, and take-out. Since it was opening week, the service itself was pretty slow. There was a mix of confusion between one of the servers, and I. She gave my friend, and I a menu to peruse, and told us that she would be back to take our orders. Unfortunately, she never came back, and I just decided to go up to the counter to order after waiting for a while. Hopefully, the pace of the service, and efficiency at Sweet O'Clock has drastically improve by now, as I wasn't impressed by it back then. In terms of restaurant space, it was small, but I liked the simple and clean decor.

Sweet O'Clock's menu offers a few varieties of dessert from hand-made taro balls, herbal jelly, creama, ice-cream, pudding, and fresh fruit slush, all in a various flavors. It's priced relatively competitively with all of the other dessert shops within the same vicinity. 


As I mentioned previously, the taro balls are made in-house in Sweet O'Clock's basement. I decided to get a dessert with the taro balls, so I opted for the Grass Jelly No. 4 ($6.90) - taro, red bean and boba, which was pretty well-portioned. The dessert itself was layered with all of the toppings on top of ice, and it was an overall refreshing dessert. I also did like the chewy texture of the glutinous taro balls, and it had a nice mild taro flavor to them. Overall, it was a one filling dessert, and I'd re-order this one again.


My friend got the Taro Ball No. 3 ($6.90) - red bean, peanut, and boba. He doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, so the dessert was a little overwhelming for him. 


The Strawberry Fresh Fruit Slush ($5.50) is a healthier alternative to the sugary slurpee that you find in the city, as it's made with fresh fruit. The one from Sweet O'Clock was actually pretty good. Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of the Chocolate Pudding ($5.99), as it tasted rather artificial to me, and the chocolate flavor was a little off. 


Lastly, I also tried one of their signature dishes (and top 10 items); the Supreme Mango Crushed Ice ($8.99). Despite its fairly large portion, this was a pretty light dessert consisting of a scoop of strawberry ice-cream, sweetened condensed milk, and large chunks of chopped mangoes on top of shaved ice. I would recmmend getting this dessert when you dine in, as the shaved ice melts quite quickly. 


Address: 5461 Yonge St, North York, ON M2N 5S1

Social Media


Disclaimer: The food provided in this post was complimentary. However, all of the opinions expressed in this review are of my own.

Sweet O'clock Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

You May Also Like

comments