Best Of Toronto

Travel Guides

Restaurants Masterlist

Vargas Steakhouse & Sushi

by - November 07, 2012

This post is long overdue but better late than never. I spent the Canada Day long weekend with some friends in Montreal, QC. Some of the landscapes in the city were really breathtaking but my main focus was on the food. I spent my last night in Montreal eating at Vargas. The restaurant was only an 8 minute walk from The Marriott Chateau Champlain (where I was staying), so it was pretty close by. I was not in the mood for a very long walk anyway :P 


Vargas is a steakhouse and sushi restaurant located in downtown Old Montreal. I was a little skeptical of the idea at first since the two were a rather odd but interesting combination. Stepping foot into the restaurant; I found the interior very spacious and well decorated with modern pieces. There was also an outdoor patio, where most of the customers that night were seated. The four of us opted for indoor seating instead.


Our waiter for the night came over to hand us the menus and brought us glasses of water. We were given a few minutes to decide on our meal for the night. I thought that our waiter was friendly, witty and helpful as he did check up on us throughout the night without being overly imposing. He evened suggested my boyfriend and I to get a dish called The Lost Paradise ($16.00). The dish is described on the Vargas' menu as a creation of "red tuna, spicy crab, avocado, tobiko, smoked salmon topped onto four pieces of salmon tempura leaf". The Lost Paradise was delicately prepared by the chef, and the ingredients that were used taste extremely fresh. The red tuna and smoked salmon were really soft in textures which contrast well with the crunchy tempura leaf. One word = delicious!!


For my main course, I ordered the 18 oz rib steak ($36.00) and had it cooked medium. The food took a few minutes to arrive, and I was pretty much starving. When it arrived, it came out piping hot, and it was huge in size. I thought that the steak was juicy, tender, but a little salty. I chose fries as my side order (as usual). Their fries were cut rather large, but it had a very crispy crunch to it, and it was soft on the inside. I actually liked their fries a lot due to its crisp.


My boyfriend ordered the Caribbean rock lobster tail ($45.00), which was an 14 oz tail with garlic butter. The lobster was pretty large, and the meat tasted so delicious with the butter. My two other friends ordered the chicken teriyaki ($17.00), and braised lamb shanks ($27.00) respectively, and the both of them appeared to have enjoyed their meals. Overall,  I had a nice dinner, and it was a great way to end my trip in Montreal.


RATINGS:

Quality of Food:4/5
Service: 4/5
Dining Experience: 4/5
Price: $$$$ || Online Menu

Address: 690 René Levesque W, Montreal, Quebec, H3B 1X8

You May Also Like

comments